MDOT to invest $49 million in U.P. in 2012March 15, 2012
ESCANABA — The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) plans to invest $49 million in the Upper Peninsula this year, including $39 million to repair 202 miles of state highways, and $4 million to repair 11 bridges.
"MDOT is committed to maintaining our state's transportation system and supporting Michigan 's economic growth," said Randy Van Portfliet, Superior Region engineer and bureau director of Field Services. "Our 2012 construction program is geared toward preserving our roads and bridges, while improving safety and convenience for all users."
The MDOT Superior Region serves all 15 counties in the Upper Peninsula: Alger, Baraga, Chippewa, Delta, Dickinson , Gogebic, Houghton, Iron, Keweenaw, Luce, Mackinac, Marquette , Menominee, Ontonagon, and Schoolcraft. Major state trunklines include I-75, US-41, US-45, US-2, M-26, M-35, M-95, M-117 and M-28. In all, MDOT is responsible for 1,830 miles of state highway and 302 bridges in the Upper Peninsula .
Major projects in the Upper Peninsula this construction season will include:
• US-41/M-28, Marquette County : A $6.89 million project to reconstruct US-41/M-28 between Marquette and Harvey, and resurface US-41 from the Welcome Center to the M-28 intersection. April to October.
• US-41, Marquette County : A $716,000 project to repair the Champion Street bridge over US-41 in Marquette . June to August.
• M-26, Houghton County : A $2.51 million project to reconstruct M-26 in Tamarack. June to September.
• US-2, Gogebic County : A $1.68 million project to resurface 10 miles of US-2 from Marenisco east to Gogebic Station. June to July.
• US-2, Iron County : A $2.67 million project to reconstruct US-2 in Iron River . May to October.
• US-2/US-41/M-35, Delta County : A $2.18 million project to resurface US-2/US-41/M-35 from Escanaba to Gladstone . June to August.
• US-2 and M-35, Delta County : A $2.36 million project to repair the US-2 bridges over the CN Railroad in Gladstone , the US-2 bridge over the Sturgeon River in Nahma, and the M-35 bridge over the Days River in Brampton . June to September.
• M-94, Schoolcraft County : A $1.31 million project to reconstruct M-94 from Fifth Street to Chippewa Avenue in Manistique. June to November.
• US-2, Mackinac County : A $4.87 million project to resurface US-2 from Borgstrom Road to Hiawatha Trail, and Worth Road to Wildwood Road . June to August.
• M-134, Mackinac County : A $575,000 project to pave 5 miles of shoulders on M-134 from Cedarville east. May to June.
• I-75, Chippewa County : A $3 million project to resurface I-75 from M-28 to 3 Mile Road south of Sault Ste. Marie. June to October.
UpperPeninsula.biz is not responsible for the content of material posted or for anything arising out of the use of the above comments and do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any comment. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason without any prior notification. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately.